Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Opinion: Windows Only Good for Games

Recently my roommate and I have been comparing tasks between Windows and the Mac. Things like instant messaging, file sharing, web browsing, etc. The Mac wins in most areas hands down. The only category where it's weak is games. Not that there aren't any. Just not as many and they take a while to come out.

This isn't a problem for me because I don't play games any longer but if you're a hard core gamer your going to want to keep your x86 system around. But when you start to think of the costs of keeping a modern gaming system up to spec when a video card can cost as much as a whole system, you really have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

1 Comments:

At 2/10/2005 11:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I mostly agree, but I point out that you don't really need to always have the latest and greatest and most expensive hardware to play the newest games. I ran accross someone who mentioned playing Doom 3 on an Athlon XP 2200+ with a GeForce FX 5200. Checking, that does fit the system requirements, and it also should fit the requirements for Half-Life 2.

Now, of course, you couldn't at all use the highest quality settings and a high resolution, but you should still be able to play the games decently.

You should still upgrade occasionally, but you wouldn't need to constantly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home