Saturday, February 05, 2005

Opinion: Slot Load

The design that makes the mini great isn't easily understood by Windows users. They look at the specs and say it's two year old 'PC' technology. I'd like them to tell me where I can get slot load 3.5" optical drives for my x86 system? The only slot load devices I can find are slim notebook sized drives. Even the x86 notebooks I've seen still have tray load drives.

Tray load sucks. The tray takes time to open and close and they always fell junkie. Apple has been using slot load forever and hasn't had a tray load system notebook for years. So if you ask me it's the x86 world that has yet to catch up to four year old Mac hardware.

2 Comments:

At 2/05/2005 11:29:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that slot loading is great. Apple hasn't completely abandoned tray loading though, the PowerMacs still use them. One advantage that tray loading has it that it can take non-standard sized discs, such as the small business card CDs, etc.

 
At 2/05/2005 12:06:00 PM, Blogger Jason Sares said...

Your right about the PowerMacs. Thanks I'll correct my post. But talking about biz card CDs is just silly. I don't make my purchase decisions based on media I get once in a lifetime that has crap on it I don't want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home