Sunday, February 20, 2005

AV: iDVD 5

Since my brother still has my miniDV camcorder I decided to use clips from the internet for this review. I got four funny parodies from Sequential Pictures and started up iDVD 5.

I played with the new themes but went with Drive in One a 4.0 Theme. I dropped the first video on the drop zone and previewed the effect. Very nice. Then I imported each of the clips. One thing I wish I could do is rename the titles of the clips after importing them. The only way I can find to do it is rename the file before importing.

I switched to status and saw the background encoding was already 25% through the first clip. Overall it took about 40 minutes to encode all the videos. Burning took about 10. Not bad at all.

Everyone I showed it to was really impressed with the quality especially considering the source video. Which if you haven't done so check out the Star Wars 3 parody. It had people on the floor.

When encoding anything over an hour you need to use Best Quality which takes forever.

I'm going to try encoding a few long XvID TV Shows overnight and I'll let you know the results.

Overall the mini is fast enough for most people's DVD creation needs and with the bundled iDVD 5 it can't be beat.

2 Comments:

At 2/20/2005 03:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you are "burning the DVDs" are you able to do anything else on the Mac Mini? On my current Windows PC DVD burning bogs the system down.

 
At 2/21/2005 09:32:00 AM, Blogger Jason Sares said...

It depends. If your encoding video then sure the CPU is maxed out. If your just burning the data you don't even notice. Plus even when the CPU is 100% OS X handles it better than Windows so you can still use the machine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home