Monday, February 21, 2005

AV: HDTV

My roommate has an RCA Scenium rear projection HDTV with a DVI port. I bought a DVI cable from BestBuy for $50 (which I think is way too much since you can get them for $15 online) and hooked up the mini. The picture is fantastic. I couldn't believe the quality of the playback of downloaded TV shows. I had a ton of different resolutions available including 720p and 1080i. I found 720p was the best overall. The only downside is the overscan area is quite large so it's hard to use OS X.

6 Comments:

At 2/21/2005 11:10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! can you post any pictures and screenshots please?
Thanks

 
At 2/21/2005 11:41:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please forgive my ignorance but how did you "download" TV shows.

I am a regular blog reader or yours, have a mac mini on order and hope to learn a lot from your blog.

Thank you.

 
At 2/22/2005 09:23:00 AM, Blogger Jason Sares said...

I'll post some pics today.

 
At 2/22/2005 09:23:00 AM, Blogger Jason Sares said...

I use Azureus with the RSS plugin. I can write a HowTo if you'd like.

 
At 2/22/2005 01:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing the pics Jason. I already have a Mini and have been evaluating which big screen HDTV to purchase. The RCA DLP you mentioned was one choice the other was Sony's LCD, the Grand WEGA KDF-42WE655. I'm still undecided. I really did not understand the overscan issue making it difficult to use OSX. SwitchresX allows you to enable or disable overscan if it is what I think it is.

 
At 3/08/2005 12:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, please write a "how to" article for "downloading" TV shows.

I am new to the Mac Mini. Been using mine for about two weeks and just love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home