Thursday, February 24, 2005

HowTo: Shrink Videos

I have a fast 5Mb cable modem but a lot of my friends around the globe are still on slow analog lines. So when I want to send them a video clip I need to shrink it as much as possible.

Thankfully a underused feature of QuickTime does this in two easy steps.

1. Open video in Quicktime click File>Export

2. Select new filename, codec, and quality settings. For this example I'm using

Export: Movie to MPEG-4
Use: Modem (Quality)

Click Save.

Your done. Here's an example where I shrunk a 1.6MB clip to an amazing 184KB!

2 Comments:

At 2/25/2005 07:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the best way to archive video. (I am new to the Mac).

I know how to get the video from my comcorder into the Mac but what, in your opinion, would be the best way to save it in the most open format so that years down the road I can get to it again?

P.S. How to I turn off the "chime" that I hear when my new Mac Mini boots up?

Gracias.

Go Mud Hens!

 
At 2/25/2005 08:54:00 AM, Blogger Jason Sares said...

I would wait for Tiger and use H.264.

This should help with the chime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home