Monday, January 17, 2005

Macs Are For Lefties. Windows Is For Righties

The division between Mac and Windows enthusiasts is sharp. Look at Comparisons, Comparisons at OverClockers.com. Ed states that the Macsters (his term) choose Macs to make a fashion statement and that they gives us orgasms. I don't know about orgasms but I think the difference is larger than fashion.

There are large differences between the enthusiasts on both sides. I'll list a few.

Right vs Left Brain
Artists in all forms have been the enthusiasts of the Mac user base. First it was publishers then photographers and now video and cinematographers. Windows' enthusiasts started off business users and now are strongly gamers.

Left brain people are random, intuitive, holistic, synthesizing, subjective, and look at wholes.

Right brain people are logical, sequential, rational, analytical, objective, and looks at parts.

Mac enthusiasts want something that works together as a whole, that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Windows enthusiasts focus on the objective side and want the best performance from the individual parts.

Right vs Left Politics
I had a more moderate political view before George W. Bush. I even voted for him the first time because I didn't agree with the lying in the Clinton administration. I naively believed him when he said he would be a uniter not a divider. But after President Bush's first term I've become a strong liberal.

I don't have the statistics but I imagine that Mac enthusiasts skew liberal and Windows enthusiasts skew conservative.

Right vs Left Handed
Windows users often complain about the lack of a second button on the Mac mice. Even though you could get a second button mouse to work for years and the second button is well supported in OS X. That's why I'm happy Apple didn't include a mouse with the mini.

I always explain that the reason Apple choose a single button was that when they did the initial product testing left handed people had a very hard time using a two button mouse. And they still do. I know a lot of lefties that struggle with ergo mice designed for righties. Most Windows enthusiasts would say "Who cares, how many lefties are there?". The point was the majority is right handed and therefore the lefties can suffer.


This all helps explain why we have a hard time understanding each other and delight in arguing about it.

Please share any reasons you have.

2 Comments:

At 1/17/2005 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a lot of artists said screw mice altogether and got wacom tablets : )
Who wants to draw with a bar of soap anyhow?

 
At 1/18/2005 04:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a PC user and systems engineer, I'm also pretty artistic (maybe I have a 50/50 left/right balance).
My best friends are MAC devotees and there are frequent discussions. :D

However I have pretty much nothing but praise for the design and execution of the apple products. Apart from the unfotunate blip in it's past that was getting rid of Steve Jobs for a while, apple has my respect.

That doesn't mean I want one, I simply don't have the time to learn both platforms in depth although I'm pretty tempted by the Mac Mini. Mac products have a purity of design which is probably the reason behind the appeal to the lefties.

The marketplace needs both sides, people need an alternative which is a complete, pure package (Linux isn't a package, just a PC done differently) maybe I'll even try one someday. Until then I'll probably just look at the pretty boxes and buy my music from iTunes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home